You can add a carabiner and lanyard to a LifeProof case so that you can attach the case using a girth-hitch and the carabiner, so that you do not drop the case.
LifeProof has recently added an area to attach a lanyard --> DO NOT USE THAT ATTACHMENT POINT. It is not as strong as drilling into the case.
Add a lanyard to a LifeProof Case Instructions
This resource provides instructions on how to drill into part of the case. Make sure you follow the section 'Drilling the Case' to have a secure connection point.
- 5/46 Drill bit
- 1/16 or smaller Drill bit
- 4-4.5 feet of 1.18mm Paracord for each case. Paracord can be purchased here AtwoodRope
- A thin sewing needle or a push pin
- Carabiner for each case
Drilling the Case
- To be drilled in the front screen portion of the case in the middle of the open plastic area
- Drilled on 45 degree angle with the back of the case facing you
- Clear out hole using a smaller bit to remove debris
Creating the Lanyard
- Cut the paracord to a length of 4-4.5 feet
- After being cut, use a lighter on both ends to slightly singed to ensure they do not fray
Attaching the Lanyard
- Paracord is fed through the hole drilled in the case
- We use a push pin to fish the paracord through
- Pull the paracord through so the cord is equal length on each side of the case
- To tie the cord use this method: Tying an Adjustable Double Knot
- Then pull the cord tight
- Tie a carabiner to the case
- Loop lanyard through the carabiner
- While holding the paracord tight. Loop around back through the knot you created
- Pull the paracord tight
Labelling the Case
- Find the Camera name in the Fotaflo application
- On the backside of the case use a label maker the name of the device
Secure a device to my harness or other equipment
This method is used to secure a device close to the body to prevent it from swinging around and to limit damage to a device if it is dropped.
- Secure the Lanyard using a Girth Hitch: feed the lanyard through the part of the harness you are going to attach the device, then thread the camera through the loop of the lanyard and pull the device through until the loop is secured to the attachment point on the harness.
- Secure the carabiner to the harness and secure the harness hardware away from the device
If you would like Fotaflo to build the cases for you, please contact email@example.com to make arrangements.
Along with adding the lanyard to the LifeProof case you can keep the camera in the pocket of a radio harness when you are not taking photos.